Monday, April 1, 2013

This Can't Be Happening - Day 61

This Can't Be Happening
Day 61

Although your mind knows the facts, your heart is often reluctant to accept the death of someone you know and love.

"You may have a tendency to deny," says Dr. H. Norman Wright, "Denial covers over the sharpness of the pain."

Denial is a process that occurs during grieving to minimize the struggle. This is a natural and transitional part of your healing journey.

Randy shares how he experienced denial after his sister died, but over time, he found that denial was impossible: "After the funeral I was basically denial. I tried to dive into my work and forget about it. It's taken a long time. Little things will remind me: things that she did, places she went to. Things like that will all of a sudden bring this very empty, hollow feeling inside me, where I can't breathe. I feel like the air is just sucked out of me. It's been five years, but trying to deny it or to ignore it is not possible."

You may be tempted to "dive into" your work and fill your mind with anything but the truth of the situation. But the book of Proverbs tells us to be open to the truth and to pursue it: "Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding" (23:23).

Jesus, give me the courage to face the truth. With Your help I know I can do it. Amen.

~ I don't know that I ever denied that the losses happened. I think I might have denied how I was dealing with it or the fact that I needed to deal with it. Being that I was on depression meds and quite numb overall, I had a want to feel something, yet the need to be able to function. It was those two fighting passions that caused quite a break down in my emotional stability and finally the necessity for me to admit that I needed to get off the depression medicine. I finally really was seeking a support group. I knew that I needed a support group for the weight loss, so surely I needed a support group to help with the grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment