Monday, April 1, 2013

Rage! - Day 65


Rage!
Day 65

Rage. Have you felt it? Screaming, wailing, intense, and coming up out of nowhere. It is defined by Webster's Dictionary as "violent and uncontrolled anger; a fit of violent wrath."

If you can relate to the above descriptions, you are experiencing an emotion common to the grieving process.

"I think the rage I had inside caused my high blood pressure, and I didn't know how to express my anger," says Annie after her father died.

Your anger does need to be expressed, but it must be done slowly and not impulsively.  Impulsive anger deals with "personal rights" and "my plan," "the kind of anger that shows you are still trying to remain in control. As God is "slow to anger," so are you encouraged to have this attribute. 

"He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty. And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city" (Proverbs 16:32 NASB).

Impulsive anger can hurt others and cause new problems for you. But the dynamic of being "slow to anger" allows you to express your anger, to see the cause of it, and to deal with it. 

Lord, give my rage a slow fuse and keep it from becoming a hungry devouring flame. Amen.

~ Woah. I needed this a while back.  I have felt rage. I went around screaming. I would lash out. I didn't realize that my anger and rage was built up from and was tied to my grieving that I wasn't doing. I am still a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment