Monday, April 1, 2013

Grief Intervention - Day 50

Grief Intervention
Day 50

There are times when the darkness of your grief may so overwhelm you that professional intervention is necessary. If an of the following are true for you, consider seeking professional intervention:

  • You are dependent on alcohol or drugs
  • You have recurring thoughts about suicide
  • You completely withdraw from your family, friends, and colleagues
  • You are still depressed after several months
Psalm 73:21-26 states: "I realized how bitter I had become, how pained I had been by all I had seen. I was so foolish and ignorant - I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you. Yet I still belong to you; you are holding my right hand. You will keep on guiding me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.  Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." (NLT)

Please do not hesitate to seek help from problems and needs that require professional treatment. You can ask your pastor or Christian friends for recommendations, search the Internet, or check your local phone book to find the names of Christian counselors and treatment programs.

"Think of it - the Lord has healed me!" (Isaiah 38:20 NLT).

Beloved Lord, grant me the ability to recognize when I need intervention and the courage to see it out. Amen.

~ Thank God that I didn't ever get to this place they speak of. I don't have a thirst for alcohol or drugs. I am a single mom and that might be my saving grace honestly. My son is my reason for living and I thank God for him every single day. I know that without him, I would have given up on God and myself. I have to admit that I have withdrawn from my family and friends a bit, but it was because I needed to be able to grieve without hearing negativity or suggestions that were just wrong for me. I know they mean well, but I just need positive people in my life and positive affirmations from loving individuals in my life to keep me in forward motion. While I don't need anyone's approval or affirmation per se, I do need the positive words and actions of others so that I don't fall back into a negative place. I think of it as saving myself from myself and those that will only bring me down. I love my family and my friends, but they really have their own issues to work out and taking a step back from that and acknowledging that has been my greatest success so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment