Monday, April 1, 2013

Sudden and Unpredictable - Day 59

Sudden and Unpredictable
Day 59

Emotions during grief do not occur in an orderly fashion. You cannot follow a checklist and mark off the emotions you are finished with and then move on to the next. They come suddenly and unpredictably.

"People ask me, 'How are you doing?' And I say, 'Wonderful.' One moment I'm sobbing uncontrollably -- I carry Kleenex around in my pocket -- and the next moment I'm so exhilarated with joy with all that God is doing in my life," says Dr. Jim Conway.

Circumstances will change. People will change. Surroundings will change. But the Bible leads you to the one sure thing: "I the LORD do not change" (Malachi 3:6).

Almighty, unchanging God, I grasp on to Your hand as my emotions confuse and overwhelm me. You alone cannot be moved, and I am confident that as long as I remain in You, I, too will not be moved. Amen.

~ I concur. There was a time that I wondered if I was bipolar, after the deaths of my sister and mother. I would have a good day going and then suddenly I would be in tears and miserable. I have had times when I walk into the grief share class and I am smiling and happy and then something is said in class that just strikes something up in my core and I just start crying. It is as if it is a signal that it is okay to cry and I feel "safe" there. I feel like I get that affirmation that it is okay to grieve and I get the validity of my hurt made in this safe place. It is a gathering of grieving people that gather in the name of their loved ones, but more importantly, in the name of the LORD.  So beautiful that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment