Monday, April 15, 2013

Bitterness Leads to Depression - Day 83

Bitterness Leads to Depression
Day 83

"Bitterness is a terrible temptation to harbor your own troubles and problems and chew on them and indulge in self-pity," says Elisabeth Elliot.

What troublesome thoughts are you harboring and chewing on again and again?

"Bitterness very often leads to depression," continues Elliot. "I am convinced that a great deal of depression is the fruit of bitterness, which is unresolved sin or anger or pain."

Bitterness hurts only you. You are allowing those thoughts to take you off the path of healing. But you can control your thoughts. Whenever bitterness tries to seep in, renounce it in the name of Christ and see it as your enemy.

The Bible discusses handling this spiritual battle within the mind:

"For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).

Lord, I'm fighting a losing battle on my own, but with You I have the power to win. Amen.

~ I never really realized that I was holding on to the bitterness and resentment until now. I, for sure, didn't realize it was the reason that I was feeling like I was depressed. I know it is lonely sometimes when I miss my mom and sister, but I didn't realize that by holding on to bitterness I was sabotaging myself and making myself ill.  It is amazing the things that we do without knowing we are doing them. It is so eye opening to become aware as I am growing in Christ and moving through my season of grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment