Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dealing with Anger: Choose to Move Past It - Day 79

Dealing with Anger: Choose to Move Past It
Day 79

Perhaps you are at the point which you must now choose to move past your anger and bitterness. You have allowed yourself the time and opportunity to slowly vent your anger, and you have honestly expressed those feelings with others.  When you are ready to move beyond your anger, be prepared to stick with that decision.

The night Heidi's husband died in a plane crash, she prayed, "God, I know that You have a plan for my life. And I don't want bitterness and anger to well up in my heart, because I have two young children, and we have to go on with our lives."

Heidi says, "I made a decision that night not to become bitter and angry about the situation and not to blame God. Sure, I asked why and I didn't understand, but I wasn't going to blame God, and I wasn't going to blame other people."

You, too, can choose to move past anger with the Lord's help.

"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful" (1 Timothy 1:12).

Jesus, strengthen me to move beyond my anger and bitterness and to stay there. Amen.

~ I often think that I have moved past my anger and then something will trigger it back up. Apparently, I was only under the delusion that I had really dealt with what was causing me to be quick to anger. I am trying to refocus myself and be "slow to anger" but it truly is a process. I can't say that it has been easy by any means, but I have found that I am more willing to try to let go of what no longer is good for my soul. I have been holding bitterness and resentment towards my baby daddy. While the loss isn't a physical one per se, I did have to mourn the loss of the friendship that we had when he turned his back on me when I told him I was pregnant and then when he didn't come and see his son in the NICU after he was born. For him, he thought he was right in wanting a paternity test to prove that Justice was his, in my mind he was just calling me a whore and liar for wanting the test. I wasn't trying to trap him and certainly didn't think I was going to get pregnant. Justice is my gift from God; my miracle. I am learning to let go of that resentment that I have been holding on to for 5 years. It is easy to say "Give it to God" but it is work. It is work because at some point you have to trust and believe that it will get better when it is no longer holding you down or holding you back. It really is a tough pill to swallow. I find myself saying that I am over it, but then it comes so easy to take cheap shots at baby daddy when he says something and it really is easy to take those jabs. I just have to remember to be the bigger person and not take those opportunities to fail myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment