Monday, April 8, 2013

Dealing with Anger: Redirect Toward Mourning - Day 76

Dealing with Anger: Redirect Toward Mourning
Day 76

Dealing with your anger in a positive way may sound good, but how exactly is it done? One suggestion is to let your anger surface and then redirect it toward mourning. Consider your anger solely in the context of your loss. You may be putting all your energy into your anger to avoid a torrent of tears; this, in turn, has kept you from grieving.

"I'd like to remind you that Jesus Christ wept," says Dr. Erwin Lutzer. "I'd like to remind you that it says in the New Testament that when Stephen died, they took him to his burial and great lamentation was made over him.

"It's okay to grieve. There are those who do not grieve, and later on it begins to catch up with them. So you go through that process as long as you understand that it is a process of transition and healing."

Expressing tears is part of the grieving process; it is part of the healing. Use your anger to help you move forward toward healing, and keep in mind that your anger and tears won't last forever.

Let your mourning lead you toward hope. No matter where you are in grief, you can always have hope.

"Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope" (1 Thessalonians 4:13).

Lord, let my anger turn to grieving and let my grieving lead to hope. Amen.

~ *tear* this day has moved me. I am not sure if it is because my sensibilities are more open now, but I find that I am more emotional lately. I am more sensitive and receptive. I am letting the tears flow as they may and talking myself down from the anger. It has become clear to me that I don't want to live in a world of anger and have my son walking on eggshells to keep from triggering a yelling spat from me. I have to remember patience and think about why I turn to anger so quickly. That fuse is real short and it is time to redirect and know that it is okay to grieve and that anger doesn't have to defeat me or be a major part of me. I remain hopeful and prayerful and I think that is the best and most rewarding thing I have gotten out of grief share.

No comments:

Post a Comment