Monday, July 22, 2013

Your Words - Day 173

Your Words
Day 173

“The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks” (Luke 6:45).

Sometimes as a result of grief, you may find yourself directing words of blame, anger, scorn, or irritation at your spouse without giving much consideration to those words. Perhaps it is time to think about some of the things you’ve said and consider why you said them. Your words are likely revealing emotions you are holding inside you, and these emotions need to be addressed.

“God allows pressures in your life to reveal to you what’s inside you,” says Iris. “The Bible says what’s in your heart comes out of your mouth. For years I was trying to tell my husband what I thought God was trying to show him, but I’m seeing more and more that God’s trying to reveal to me what’s in me. As He shows me what’s in me that is wrong, I can confess it to Him. And the Bible says if you confess it, He takes it away as far as the east is from the west.”

After a time of self-examination, if you come to realize that you have said or done something wrong – yes, confess it to God, but also take the time to confess and apologize to the person you have wronged.

You can also share with the other person what you have learned about yourself and ask for prayer to handle things better next time.

Father, forgive me for saying unkind words to my spouse. Help me to be better aware of any emotions I’m holding inside so that I can work through them. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment