Monday, July 22, 2013

Another Step in Saying Good-Bye – Day 135

Another Step in Saying Good-Bye
Day 135

Sooner or later you are faced with the necessary step of dealing with your spouse’s possessions. This is an important part of saying good-bye. Again, don’t rush the grieving process; just follow this step when you are ready.

Margi had some dear friends who spend the last week of her husband’s life at her house helping out. These friends were having financial troubles, and after her husband’s death, Margi chose to give her husband’s nice work clothes to them. She also remembered her husband’s ex-students, neighborhood boys who knew him, and, of course, her son.

She says: “My husband probably had a hundred ties. I gave them away to different people because I knew that my husband had touched their lives in some way, and they would have a part of him.

“I knew that it meant something to others, and that’s why I was able to give it away. My husband had a lot of little articles, like little cedar chests. He had one of those from when he was a boy my son’s age. So I gave it to my son one Christmas and then an arrowhead collection and several things like that.”

Your spouse’s memory can live on in the lives of loved ones around you. Who can you touch today with a memory of your spouse?

“I thank my God every time I remember you” (Philippians 1:3).


Lord God, may the precious memories of my spouse bring joy to me and to those around me. Amen.

~no spouse, but going through my mom's things and my sister's things weren't for the faint of heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment