Monday, July 22, 2013

Determine Your Responsibilities – Day 129

Determine Your Responsibilities
Day 129

You have certain responsibilities and commitments you must fulfill each day regardless of how you feel about them and regardless of how you feel on that particular day. These responsibilities may have multiplied since the loss of your loved one.

“Right after the accident the main thing was to keep my children’s lives as normal as possible,” says Heidi.

Make a list of your daily responsibilities and consider asking other family members and friends to take care of several items on your list. Then commit yourself daily to getting up and fulfilling each of your remaining responsibilities in a way that pleases God.

“The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty” (Proverbs 21:5).


Lord and Savior, when my responsibilities overwhelm me, help me to face them with a heart attitude that pleases You. Amen.

~ This was hard for me. I wasn't able to shut down. I had a 15 month old to take care of. A house to pack up and an apartment to find. I had a new reality that was a lot of people less in my life. 
I have come to realize that losing my sister also meant losing my brother-in-law and my 3 nephews. It meant not seeing that other side of the family. My stepdad left my mom in January and we got the divorce papers the day before my sister died. Then my stepdad didn't even go see my mom when she was in the hospital for a week before her death. I lost my stepdad and my son lost his pawpaw when he walked out the door. My sister lost the bond she had with her father. He, in essence, abandoned us.  We weren't just attached to one or two lives, we were attached to many. Suddenly, my circle of family got a lot smaller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment