Thursday, March 28, 2013

Society's Superficial Response to Grief - Day 39

Society's Superficial Response to Grief
Day 39

Society often concerns itself with keeping up appearances, maintaining the status quo, and covering up problems, as if pretense will somehow make things right!

"We want everything to be glossed over," Rev. John Coulombe observes. "We want everything to be gilded with gold. We think it should be tidy and nice."

But life is not "tidy and nice" and pretending it is will hinder your healing process and make it even longer.

Remember that your view is not God's. Realizing this, draw close to Him and listen to His wisdom. His perspective on your grief is the one you need to seek.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the LORD. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts'" (Isaiah 55:8-9).

Holy God, teach me to grieve wisely, knowing that You truly understand my hurts and my needs and knowing that Your way for me is far better than society's expectations of me. Amen.

~ It is such a sad thing that we base our worth and our responses to emotions on what society (other people) say is right or just. I am blessed that I don't do that anymore. Judge not lest ye be judged. I don't want to judge anyone else nor do I want or need anyone else judging me. It is too heavy a burden to bear and I am blessed that I have finally come to realize that the only one that I need to please is the Lord. I need to do right by Him and Him alone. MY worth isn't based off someone else's definitions or parameters and that is a wonderful thing to be able to say out loud and really feel in my mind and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment