Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Grief Cannot Be Rushed - Day 21

Grief Cannot Be Rushed
Day 21

Your journey through grief cannot be compared to another person's journey. You will grieve in your way and in your time. Grief does not have a set time limit. The only certainty is that it will take longer than you want it to.

"It's a process that cannot be rushed," says Dr. Robert Jeffress. "As a pastor who has dealt with hundreds and hundreds of people who have gone through a loss, I can tell you that it is a process, and it is a longer process than any of us want to believe.

"Going through grief is like going through a tunnel. The bad news is the tunnel is dark. The good news is that once you enter into that tunnel, you are already on your way out."

Your journey is your own, but you are not alone. Do not be afraid to cry out to God,

"How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?" (Psalm 13:2).

How long, Lord, how long? This tunnel is so dark. Show me Your light. Amen.

~ For a long time I couldn't understand how my family could just go on with their lives and not feel the same hurt that I did with the losses. The answer is that they had a different relationship with my sister and my mother than I did. Our bonds were different. To lose someone close to you isn't the same to lose someone you didn't really talk to on a daily basis or see daily. I long waited the day that they would understand that I needed to be sad and grieve. I needed it to be okay that I was still hurting and still missing them. I knew they weren't coming back and I knew my mom was no longer hurting. That didn't make not having her here any more easy. It feels refreshing to know that what I am feeling is normal and that I am not some weirdo who gets off on holding on to the past. I don't really think that I am holding on to the past as much as I am just trying to remember my sister and my mom. I don't want to forget. I miss them so much that I don't want to forget the funny stuff either one of them would come up with. I want to remember and remind myself and tell stories to my son so that he will know that he was loved so much by them and they are still with him as his guardian angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment