Wednesday, May 22, 2013

One-Flesh Relationship - Day 117

One-Flesh Relationship
Day 117

A part of who you are is gone. Your identity is shaken to the very core. You wonder if you will ever feel normal again or if you will ever enjoy life again.

"When you lose a mate, you lose part of yourself," says Dr. Jim Conway. "It's as if you've had an amputation of an arm or a leg. I think you don't really recover; you adjust, and the process of adjusting varies with every individual. There's no formula."

The pain that comes from the loss of a spouse is much deeper than most people realize because in a marital relationship two people become one flesh.

"The man said, 'This is now bone of bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called "woman," for she was taken out of man.' For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh" (Genesis 2:23-24).

When part of your flesh is abruptly taken away, there is a ripping and a tearing that leaves a huge, open wound.

"Until you have experienced the death of a spouse, there is no way you can tell someone how deep the hurt is. The Lord says that we are one flesh, and suddenly half of that flesh is torn from us," says Beth.

Lord God, a part of me is gone and will never be recovered. What do I do now? Amen.

~ I haven't experienced this type of loss. I have lost a sister and mother. I lost my grandfather. I lost my cousins in a tragic car accident just a week ago. It seems that my losses range. I feel the losses for others as well. I guess when you truly know love you feel empathy and sympathy for others. Well, at least, I do.  I pray that when this happens I will remember the journey that I have come and that my connection with God is strong and sustaining. I pray that for each of my family and friends, because it has been through Him and with Him that I have found strength and understanding.  I look down in the sand and I see two sets of footprints again. I feel blessed that He carried me for those 2-1/2 years when I was in my fog and despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment