Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Destructive Choices - Day 109

Destructive Choices
Day 109

In an effort to escape the pain, you may sometimes look for short-term solutions such as alcohol, overwork, drugs, or sex. These destructive choices have two elements in common:
1. They prolong the actual grieving process.
2. They break down the values and priorities that a person had embraced beforehand.

Dr. Robert Abarno says, "It's called displacement. When you don't face the issue and you don't want to accept the answer 'I am the problem,' you may displace it by getting into alcohol or relationships or drugs or whatever. But that is temporary. It just doesn't do the job."

A quick fix lasts only a moment, but God is forever. Seek to please the Spirit, and you will move forward in healing.

"The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up" (Galatians 6:8-9).

Heavenly Father, I need to get off this road of destruction and onto the road of life. Lead me there. Amen.

~ I didn't realize that I was displacing anything. It makes sense when it is said to me (or I read it as I did with this email today). The very people that would be my comforters are the ones that died. I don't have that support system anymore and it gets lonely being the one that has to hold it together for myself, my sister and my son. It doesn't make it any easier that I just feel lost and saved all at the same time. I see all this good happening for others around me and I wonder what I am doing wrong. Yet, it will happen in God's timing not mine. I just have to keep the faith and pray. I long for a real relationship where I thrive and grow and am able to give my love freely to the other person and receive it back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment