Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Practical Help – Day 340

Practical Help
Day 340

Don’t underestimate the value of giving practical help. But be observant. The kind of help needed will vary from one person to another.

Barbara Johnson shares, “I wished people would have just come and told me they loved me and that God loved me, and then helped me feed the dog, take care of the house, dump the garbage, do some things like that. Doing practical things for me would have been good because so many things they said were causing turmoil for me rather than comfort. So I learned that the words should be few and that it is better to do practical things to help the family. Bring some casseroles; feed the children; do the laundry.”

If you could use practical help, ask for it. People want to help and usually find it easier to help with a specific task or responsibility.

“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets” (Matthew 7:12).

Receive help with open arms and an appreciative outlook. Offer help with the same caring attitude.

Lord God, even when I’m not sure how another person will respond to my overtures, give me the courage to find a practical way to help and to just do it! Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment